Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Rapture for the Geeks: When AI Outsmarts IQ

I feel terribly saying this, but: This book sucks!, is a waste of your time unless you have been under a rock for the last 40 years.

Richard Dooling has done a good gob of research and reporting of a topic that INTERNET dwellers are very much familiar with, this is a guide for the dummies regarding this topic and you would do better taking your fisrt baby steps researching this on your own.

I really like that he promotes learning to code (something I have been neglecting for over a decade) and using Open-source software (OSS)  but he keep trowing references to Microsoft and Vista (that was perfectly fine unless you had a resource strapped machine) that get in the way of your struggle with his boring text.

He tries to be funny, like, all the time, it gets old rather fast and you can see the acting in the WoW chapter, trying to sound like a knowledgeable fellow (he admits to haver never player and gives credit to the people that explained this to him) .

The only sincere part is the one where he discusses faith and trashes Richard Dawkins, I am an atheist and I like Dawkins, but this chapter was the only one I liked, it felt from the hearth .

Watching the grass grow is a better usage of your time.

I see that he is a novelist, perhaps with fiction he fares better, who knows?

UntitledRapture for the Geeks: When AI Outsmarts IQ by Richard Dooling

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Sadly it has not aged well
And all that anti microsoft stuff, it it jarring, you are trying to read it but he keeps being a sheep, he mentions linux, but he sounds like a mactard.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cuando esto es una conversación, todos ganamos